History of Eton Porny CofE First School

Antoine Pyron du Martre came from Normandy, but after leaving France in 1754, changed his name to Mark Anthony Porny to evade unhappy relatives. He was appointed as a French teacher at Eton College in 1773, where he also began to write books, examples of which are held in College Library. In 1780, he was also appointed as a Poor Knight of Windsor (now known as the Military Knights of Windsor).

Porny amassed a sizeable fortune through his teaching and writings, and on his death in 1802, bequeathed it to the charity school in Eton. This bequest was fought over by his surviving relatives in France, but eventually Eton College leased the trustees land for a new school to be established according to the terms of his will and the school opened in 1812. The establishment of the original school which bears his name is recorded on the commemorative plaque on the High Street building facade. It was to provide free education for 90 children elected from the poor of the Parish. The School opened On 26 April 1813 under the management of the Provost and Fellows and eight members of the parish, becoming the original Porny Trustees. The day school capacity was 60 boys and 30 girls but may not have initially reached those numbers. To be considered for a day place regular prior Sunday School attendance for at least one year was required for children of the Parish who had been baptised and born in wedlock. In 1863, a half century after its opening, the School transferred to its present larger location.